Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Roller coaster of life...

Whew- what a ride the last few days have been. A lot of ups and downs for sure. On the up side, I have gotten not one but TWO stores to agree to display my work- and they are very upscale children's clothing stores so that is a great thing for me. It will be good for me to be able to send people to see my work in other places besides just my website or my studio. I'm meeting with one of the stores tomorrow and the other I will be calling again tomorrow to set up a meeting. What else is going on- my mailer will be going out next week and I should be getting my first batch of babies in the new studio, so that will be great. OH- AND- we (myself and a few other photographers) are going to be going on Northwest Afternoon in a couple weeks for a public service announcement for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep. We were kind of hoping for a little more than 15 seconds- because how can you really squish what we're doing into 15 seconds- but- it's better than nothing.

Now to the down side- I sent emails about NILMDTS to every news channel in the Puget Sound and besides the NWA PSA guy- the only response I got at all was a "thanks but not right now" from KIRO- because they've already run similar stories about another individual who does a similar type of work. OK- but that's an INDIVIDUAL- we are an entire GROUP of over 400 photographers (and growing every day just about). It just torks me that nobody else seems to get that there is a sense of urgency here- that all the while we're sitting around waiting for those calls, babies are dying and their parents are getting no more than a blurry polaroid- all because they have no idea we are here. I will be taking some brochures to a few hospitals around here and mailing them to a couple others a bit farther away. I'm not trying to be BUSY with these jobs- but I at least want it to be AVAILABLE.

I met with Tyler's parents today, to show them their photos before making the final slideshow for his funeral. It was so nice to see them again, and as difficult as these jobs are- seeing them looking at their little son's photographs and hearing again how glad she was that I could be there- it really just touches my heart so deeply that unless you have been there you couldn't possibly have a clue what I'm talking about. It's awesome, though, I can tell you that.

Anyway, well- we're almost finished with the studio. All we have left to do is move one of the backdrop poles to a different wall (long, stupid story) and put up some shelving in this closet area in the hall to have some better prop storage as right now it's all lined up along the sides of the room and that just isn't going to work. But- it's almost ready. I anticipate finishing it tomorrow night- hopefully...

No comments: